Thursday, April 8, 2010

Porco Rosso

Thus far, this is my favorite film we've screened in class. The characters were engaging, especially Marco even though he is a self-centered swine, but a very charming and loveable one. Porco is a combination of Italian male stereotypes and the master less Japanese Ronin Warrior living by the bushido code. The overall representation of the misogynistic Italian culture was treated in an endearing way and Fio was a nice, refreshing addition to an otherwise male-dominated story. It's hard to admit, but I think the primary reason I prefer this film is because it resonated with my Italian heritage. The fact that some aspect of the culture- though cliché at best- were familar images in which i could identify helped to engage my attention. As described in Japanamerica, I'm one of the many Americans who fail to identify with the genre. The defamiliarization of the setting and characters makes it difficult for me to want to invest in the them because usually, as in the case of Lupin, I was unaware of the tv or manga series that would have given me a broader perspective of the narrative.

Also, I found some of his translations to be a bit strange. For example, the pirates are named the "Mama Aiutos." When translated that means "Mama, help!" Like Castle in the Sky, this is a reference to the mother-son relationship that is so highly regarded in Japanese culture, and how this contributes to the conformity of Japanese society.

Per usual, Miyazaki's images of flight are breathtaking, especially the scene in which Marco describes his vision of the fallen war pilots descending into heaven. The lack of music is ominous and it gives the audience a sense of Porco's purgatory. Of course, the film reminded me of aspects of Casablanca, but the images of flight also reminded me of Howard Hawk's films. The framing and editing are dynamic and cinematic. Whether skimming the Adriatic or the clouds, there is a full feel of movement.

1 comment:

  1. Porco Rosso is by far the most interesting film, not the most attractive, of Miyazaki since it's level of maturity of the story. I heard this film was very personal to Miyazaki and that makes me to think this piece is special. I was particularly felt interested in depiction of pig because I was curious why he chose pig as central metaphor for this film. I thought was that portrait of pig is a relative perception in the film because we know that Porco is on the good side but what we know of the pig is usually bad; gluttony, greed.

    ReplyDelete